At Tamarack, we’re dedicated to finding innovative ways to improve people’s lives.
The Tamarack Story
At Tamarack Habilitation Technologies, we’re dedicated to finding innovative ways to improve people’s lives. Tamarack was founded in 1990 in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Our active brand, ENGO, helps people continue to do what they love – and get rid of blisters for good. ENGO Blister Prevention Patches help runners, women who wear heels, hikers, athletes, and anyone who suffers from blisters.
Our GlideWear® products help amputees, wheelchair users, and people with limited mobility prevent painful wounds and bedsores.
Our Tamarack brand products are world renowned in the orthotic and prosthetic (O&P) industry, especially the Tamarack Flexure Joint® for custom orthopedic bracing and ShearBan® low friction patches for foot blister and neuropathic ulcer prevention.
Tamarack is a small, privately held business, wholly owned by the Marty and Peg Carlson family. We’re based in Minnesota and our products are proudly made in the USA. Meet the Tamarack team.
- To research, develop, and manufacture products of excellent function and value that improve and maximize human performance and comfort.
- To work in a manner which respects fellow employees, our customers, and the Earth.
- To be authentic with regard to product design, manufacturing, and promotions.
- To deliver more than we promise.
Our Commitment to Giving Back
Tamarack strives to be a green company and a good place to work, and we are committed to giving back to the community and the world.
Tamarack contributes funds, materials, and employee time to help educate and assist O&P schools in across the nation and around the world.
Awards, Certifications & Memberships
- 2016 Leaders in Healthcare Awards Finalist, Minnesota Business Magazine
- 2015 Minnesota Manufacturing Award – New Product: Textiles Category Winner
- 2013 da Vinci Awards Finalist
- 2012 LifeScience Alley New Technology Showcase Winner
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel Corporate Advisory Council Member
- ISO 13485 : 2003 Quality Management System
- Member of the American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association
- Member of the American Academy of Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Member of the Medical Alley Association
Tamarack was founded in 1990 by Marty and Peg Carlson with the help of six very experienced and highly capable employees. The new company designed and fabricated custom orthoses, prostheses and adaptive equipment. Serving the needs of people with very severe and/or multiple conditions quickly became our specialty.
We took the time to listen to our clients’ stories: their difficulties, pain, frustrations and their hopes for a more functional, independent life. We applied our background knowledge of biomechanics, material science and handicapping disease seeking innovative solutions. We liked direct and simple solutions whenever possible.
As we became involved with a few elite athletes, we understood that all of us function, each at our own pace, along a continuous spectrum from the professional to the very challenged. As our company of collaborating people developed, our mission became:
- To research, develop and manufacture products of excellent function and value that improve and maximize human physical performance
- To work in a manner which respects fellow employees, our customers and the earth
- To be authentic, congruent and simple in product design, material utilization and promotional messages
- To deliver more than we promise
During the mid 90’s, Medicare and Medicaid funding policy changes made it very difficult to sustain the provision of innovative custom equipment for the people who needed it. Tamarack developed a unique, inexpensive, highly durable orthotic joint, the Tamarack Flexure Joint, in 1995 that became profitable and helped sustain the company. A health crisis in 1999 precipitated a company split at the end of the year. Tamarack continued as a developer and manufacturer of innovative new products.
Today, we continue our growth in the orthotic/prosthetic industry with design developments extending our Tamarack Flexure Joint and strategic friction reduction (ShearBan and ENGO) product lines. In recent years, we have focused our development on fabric technologies (GlideWear) and wearable products that protect skin and soft tissue from the friction and shear that cause blisters, pressure injuries, and wounds.